Sunday, May 6, 2007

The Frame...

When I first decided that an old cafe racer was the direction I wanted this project to head, it didn't take long for me to decide that a Triton was going to be the object of my desires. First built in the early sixties they were a marriage of the Norton featherbed frame, accepted as the best round handler of the day, with a Triumph twin 650cc engine which was well known for being the most reliable and easily tuned, but in a frame that has been described as a hinged camel.

After a fair amount of searching I came across a 1956 Norton Dominator 99 Featherbed frame - this is the wideline version of Norton's featherbed. It was a complete rolling chassis complete with its Roadholder forks and fullwidth alloy hubs laced to some rusty but original rims. I exchanged it for my tax return and the project begins...
This is how the frame would have looked in the motorcycle it was intended for...

No comments: